Example–(AUTO CAD, PRO-E, IDEAS, CATIA, ANSYS, UNIGRAPHICS, SOLID EDGE, SOLID WORKS, CADKEY, CANADIAN)
Geometric Modeling Techniques
1. The mathematical description of the geometry of an object is called a Model.
2. Geometric modelling involves the use of a CAD system to develop a mathematical description of the geometry of an object.
3. The geometric models can be classified as
1.2 D Models
1. In 2 D geometric modelling, the computer mostly produces an orthographic projection of the component.
2. It is easy to obtain more than 3 views of the component.
3. CAD software has the provision of producing sectional views.
4. Hard copies of these drawings can be directly used on the shop floor for production.
Second 3 D Models:
1. A 3-dimensional model conveys meaning more rapidly than its corresponding orthographic views.
2. 3 D modelling provides complete Information required for manufacturing.
3 D modelling can be represented by,
1. Wire frame model (or) Line model
2. Surface model
3. Solid model (or) Volume model
Advantage of 3 D Model Over 2 D Model
1. 3 D model improves visualization.
2. It produces accurate design
3. It improves the quality of design.
4. 3 D model provides complete Information.
5. From the 3 D model, we can make 2 D models.
6. 3 D models are used to find volume and mass.